Winter is unfortunately upon us, but it’s not all doom and gloom. Along with the cold weather comes some of my favourite things; thick knit jumpers, warming soups and big bowls of porridge (mmm carbs). I have been experimenting with some rather extravagant and just plain peculiar porridge recipes of late. It has got me reminiscing about simple, easy to make porridge that you can whip up in just 5 minutes. So here is a recipe that you can roll out of bed and make. Before you even have a chance to notice just how cold your house has become over the course of one night. Banana Porridge. Well caramelised banana, pecan and maple porridge to be exact.
Banana Porridge Recipe
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 small handful of pecans
- 2 tbsp. of maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. of cinnamon
- Place ½ of your banana into a small saucepan and squash with a fork.
- Add your; oats, cinnamon, almond milk and 1 tbsp. of maple syrup.
- Place your saucepan on a low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir continuously until your desired consistency is reached (I like nice thick porridge so I stirred mine for roughly 5 minutes).
- Slice your remaining ½ banana and crush your pecans.
- If you want that beautiful caramelised banana topping, fry the remaining banana in a pan with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and 1 tbsp. of maple syrup.
- Pour your porridge it into a bowl, lay over your banana slices, sprinkle on your crushed pecans and drizzle over a little maple syrup.
Feel free to be more productive than myself, but I seriously recommend putting a film on, surrounding yourself with blankets, cosying up to your porridge and not moving for the rest of the day. We have all done it.