As amazing as chocolate protein porridge with peanut butter is, recently I have found myself venturing away from my go to healthy porridge recipes and experimenting with less obvious options. Passion fruit compote on top of warm creamy coconut milk porridge was another winner, but is a recipe for another time. Today I am sharing with you my equally delectable recipe for Healthy Blackcurrant Porridge. Fruity and light this recipe I found really interesting because I was uninspired by the selection of flavours available in my fresh fruit bowl. I therefore went rummaging through my freezer and stumbled upon a bag of mixed frozen berries, I didn’t even know I had. Out I plucked the black currant and here you have one lovely carby breakfast. Enjoy porridge lovers.
Healthy Blackcurrant Porridge Recipe
- ½ cup of oats
- ½ cup of rice flakes
- 2 cups of Vita Coco coconut milk
- ¾ cup of frozen blackcurrants
- 2 tbsp. of maple syrup
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- dash of vanilla extract
- Blend oats, rice flakes, milk and ½ a cup of the frozen blackcurrants in a blender.
- Pour into a sauce pan on a low-medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- After 2-3 minutes heat a small frying pan on a medium heat and add; the other ¼ cup of blackcurrants, 1 tbsp. of the maple syrup and 2 tbsp. of water. Simmer until blackcurrants have softened and water has reduced slightly.
- Stir the extra 1 tbsp. of maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract through your porridge, then pour your porridge into a bowl.
- Top with the sautéed blackcurrants and enjoy.
If you like my Healthy Blackcurrant Porridge Recipe you will want to give my Raspberry Porridge Recipe a whirl.