What better way to start your morning than with a vegan, paleo, high protein carrot cake porridge?
This is one seriously indulgent tasting breakfast, but without any of the guilt. A real hearty way to start your day! Not only does it taste sublime but it covers all your macronutrient bases and contains loads of micronutrients too. The nuts, milk, whey and chia seeds provide a punch of protein, essential for muscle repair and recovery. The oats and nuts provide your source of carbohydrate to act as your slow releasing energy source, keeping you going until your next meal. The nuts, milk and chia seeds are packed with loads of healthy fats, (particularly the chia seeds, full to the brim with Omega 3 essential fatty acids). Its hardly lacking in fibre or micronutrient content either. This really is a great way to start any morning, give it a go and let me know what you think.
Carrot Cake Porridge Recipe
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of milk (or dairy free alternative)
- ½ cup of plain oats
- 1 tbsp. of chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of vanilla whey protein (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of agave (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tbsp. of golden raisins
- 1 handful of crushed walnuts
- 1 carrot
- 1 dash of vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. of maca powder (optional and can be swapped for lucuma)
- ¾ tsp. of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of nutmeg
- Grate the carrot (half coarsely grated and half finely grated).
- Add the water, milk, agave and vanilla essence to a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, whey protein powder (if using), spices and raisins to the saucepan. Allow to cook until desired consistency is reached (I like really thick porridge).
- Once thick and silky stir through the; maca (if using) grated carrots and crushed walnuts (save a pinch of each to garnish).
- Pour into your favourite breakfast bowl and garnish with a pinch of grated carrots, walnuts, sprinkle of cinnamon and swirl of agave. Perfection!
That’s it, I hope you enjoy the recipe and that it fills you with an overwhelming sense of comfort like only porridge can.
If this carrot cake porridge tickled your fancy you are going to love my Raw Carrot Cake Recipe.