People always say that banana bread is a great way to use up bananas that are a few days over ripe, but this healthy banana bread recipe is so sweet and delicious you will be counting the days to your bananas turn brown. Sweetened naturally with just a handful of dates, it has all the sweetness but a fraction of the sugar a regular banana bread does. The best thing about this recipe and most loaf recipes is that the good times don’t have to end, bake one loaf and it will last all week (in theory).
Blueberry Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 bananas
- 6 eggs
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 4 tsp. of peanut butter
- 2 tsp. of tahini
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of lucuma or baobab (optional)
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Put the eggs in your food processor and mix until light and airy.
- Then add your bananas, dates, flour, nut butter, tahini, cinnamon, baking powder & lucuma (if using).
- Now blitz until the mixture is well combined.
- Prepare your loaf tray by either; lightly greasing or lining with parchment paper. If you are using parchment paper a good trick my sister taught me is to scrunch it up and run it under the tap. This prevents it from rising up out of the baking tray and allows it to hold its shape.
- Once you have done this pour in your banana batter and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden on top. Another good test is to push a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- When the 45 minutes is up and your banana bread is done leave it to cool, this may take up to 30 minutes. Torture I know.
- Slice your cake and enjoy with a nice cup of herbal tea.
I have to thank my lovely sister for helping me bake this recipe it was great to be back in the kitchen catching up with her this weekend and I hope she is having a wonderful birthday today. I know she still has a little banana bread left in the kitchen so it can’t be that bad. The recipe states 45-50 minutes bake time, I kinda forgot about mine and left it in the oven 5 minutes too long, that is why it is a little dark. So keep an eye on it as the 45 minute mark approaches.