Rice pudding used to be a firm favourite when I was at school, along with bread and butter pudding, but I haven’t had it in years for fear of the additives that come with the pre made versions. So I decided to make my own healthy rice pudding, with a sophisticated little twist to make it more exciting. Creamy coconut rice pudding topped with winter spiced rhubarb. Brings back memories. Of course you can make the rice pudding and serve it with whatever you like, you don’t have to use rhubarb. Passion fruit and coconut yoghurt is a wonderful combo! Just some raisins and agave is pretty good. I also made this recipe vegan so everyone can enjoy it. Get stuck in and let me know what you think.
Healthy Rice Pudding Recipe
- 250g wholegrain rice
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. of agave
- ½ a vanilla pod (optional)
- 800g of rhubarb
- 2 tbsp. of agave
- 1 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 1 star anise
- Dash of water
- 1 orange
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Put the rice, coconut milk and agave into a large saucepan, add 500ml of cold water and bring to a simmer. Reduce to a low heat and cook for 1 hour, stirring regularly until the rice is soft.
- Cut the rhubarb into 4cm long chunks and add to a baking try.
- Add; 2 tbsp. of agave, 1 tbsp. of coconut oil, 1 star anise, juice from the orange and a dash of water to the baking tray and coat the rhubarb.
- Spread the rhubarb so that it is in a single layer, then put in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir once or twice.
- Serve the rice pudding hot with the rhubarb, its syrup and some coconut yoghurt if you are feeling lavish.
Don’t forget to remove the star anise before serving. I have eaten one before and trust me its not a pleasant surprise.