This Pearl Barley, Mint and Pea Salad is your perfect summer BBQ accompliment. Made with British ingredients this dish is fragrant and full of flavour. The mint just makes it so refreshing, whilst the “al dente” asparagus and cashews provide a nice little crunch. This summer salad can be paired with almost anything, lamb, chicken, fish, you name it. It only takes 25 minutes to make and the wonderful colour is sure to brighten any table. If you like this you are sure to like my bright Beetroot Risotto.
Pearl Barley, Mint and Pea Salad Recipe
- 150g of pearl barley
- 150g of peas
- 1 handful of cashews
- 1 handful of mint
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- ½ lime juice
- ½ cup of water + more if necessary
- Put the pearl barley into a saucepan and cover with 4 times the amount of water. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- In a blender or food processor, blitz your; cashews, mint, spinach, olive oil, lime juice and water.
- After 20 minutes the pearl barley should have absorbed nearly all the water and should be almost ready to go.
- Cut your asparagus into 3 pieces per sprig and steam above your pearl barley for 5 minutes. For the final minute add your peas to the pearl barley.
- Strain the barley, peas and asparagus then add to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over the green sauce and mix gently.
- Add to a serving dish and decorate with a little more mint and cashews.
Pearl Barley, Mint and Pea Salad