Protein Hot Chocolate
I got in from a very frosty sprint session the other day and the last thing I wanted at that moment in time was an ice cold protein shake to go with my purple hands. I thought back to my childhood when my parents used to make me a hot chocolate after getting in out of the cold weather. I thought to myself, there must be a way of making a hot chocolate that fuels my workout and recovery, warms me up and also contains no or very little sugar, unlike a standard hot chocolate.
I played around with the idea and soon found that a warmed up protein shake wasn’t very nice, it formed lumps and developed a rather unpleasant aftertaste. So I started adding ingredients, ones that I thought would not only contribute to the recipe in terms of flavour, but ones that would also benefit the recovery process allowing you to get the most out of your workout. The protein hot chocolate became a reality.
Protein Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 300ml of water
- A serving of your favourite chocolate whey protein
- 1 tsp. of agave
- 1 tsp. of coconut oil
- 1 tsp. of cacao
- ½ tsp. of ginger
- ¼ tsp. of pink Himalayan rock salt
- 2 squares of dark chocolate
- Boil the kettle.
- Put the chocolate, coconut oil, agave, ginger, cocoa and salt into a mug. Put the mug in the centre of a large bowl and surround the mug with the boiling water.
- Mix the 300ml of hot water and chocolate whey protein in a shaker bottle just as you would after the gym. Be careful doing this. The hot water will create steam in the bottle and force the lid to pop open, so keep your finger on the lid and open the lid after a quick shake.
- Once the chocolate and coconut oil has melted, combine with the protein shake and enjoy.
After much experimentation, I have come up with two very important tips when it comes to making hot protein shakes. First never use milk, although it would make the hot chocolate richer in flavour when milk is combined with protein powder and heat it curdles and creates lumps. Second always use boiled water rather than microwaving a cold shake.
Make this gorgeous cup of hot chocolate after your next cold run and you will never have a cold protein shake again! Honestly you just sink into it and forget everything else around you, its that indulgent. Really smooth and creamy, and you can make it more intense by adding a little more dark chocolate if your feeling naughty.
I absolutely love this recipe and would love to hear what you think. Post your pictures on Instagram and tag me @healthyjon enjoy.
If you like this you will love my Protein Eggnog Recipe.