Evening guys, last week my sister and mother had a girls night in with all their friends, they asked me to make a lovely dessert for them all to share. I was rather short on time so I needed to make something really quickly, I opted for a raw lemon cheesecake as the prep time is only about 15 minutes. My uncle and little cousin also happened to be visiting at the time so I roped her into the kitchen and got her making the cheesecake with me. She looked like she had a great time and now she knows how to make a healthy dessert for mum and dad, I was clearly feeling lazy as I got her to do everything, lets call it an educational experience.
My point being if an 11 year old can make a dessert as healthy as this in 15 minutes and can make it look like that (she did all the decoration and plating to) then you have no excuse! A raw cheesecake is a great place to start if you are relatively new to healthy dessert making, all you need is a food processor and a freezer. The base consists of; dates & nuts and the filling consists of; cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk & agave/honey/maple syrup etc., then just add flavourings to both to create different varieties of cheesecake. How easy is that!
I hope you like this one guys, if my little cousin can make it you certainly can, it is super simply and only requires a few ingredients, so what are you waiting for? Remember to tag @healthyjon in all your creations so I can see all your cooking skills. Have a great week foodies!
Raw Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
- For the base:
- 15 medjool dates
- 1 cup of mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp. of desiccated coconut
- Zest of 1 lemon
- For the filling:
- 200g of soaked cashews
- ½ cup of coconut oil (solid)
- 200ml of coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. of agave/honey/maple syrup etc.
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Zest of 2 lemons and juice of all 3
- Soak your dates for at least 2 hours (preferably 4) then drain, rinse and dry.
- Add the nuts to the food processor and blitz until they form a small crumb like texture (do not blitz for too long or they will turn into a powder, just 10 seconds will do), then add the remaining base ingredients and blitz until it starts to come together.
- Remove and spread into the base of a spring form pan, making sure it is even all over, pop in the freezer to set.
- Clean the food processor then add the dry cashews along with the remaining filling ingredients (melt the coconut oil first) and blitz until VERY smooth, the smoother the mixture, the lighter and creamier your cheesecake will be.
- When silky smooth pour over the base, spread flat and pop back into the freezer for 4 hours then serve.