You add cardamom to porridge these days and half your audience won’t make it because they think its a fancy porridge recipe that they couldn’t possibly make, likewise you add protein powder and the other half of your audience won’t make it because they think it’s common, just for men, or avid gym goers. Well today I’m screwing you both over. Meet my vanilla protein porridge recipe with cardamom. Adding herbs, spices, fruits, superfoods etc. to recipes does not make them fancy, or posh, or difficult to make. They add nutrients, flavour and allow the cook to play around with combinations to hopefully make your eating experience all the more enjoyable.
Equally adding protein powder to a recipe shouldn’t exclude anyone from eating it. We all need protein and if you are vegan or dairy free etc. just use a plant based protein powder. Because the truth is everyone without exception should be consuming a reasonable amount of protein in EVERY meal. And I hate to say it but a bowl of plain porridge doesn’t have much.
Rant over, you are free to enjoy your porridge.
Vanilla protein porridge recipe
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp. of vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp. of honey
- ½ a vanilla pod
- 1 cardamom pod
- Add oats, milk, protein powder and honey to a saucepan.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds, then add to the pan.
- Open up the cardamom pod and cut or crush the little black seeds as finely as you can, then add to the saucepan.
- Place on a medium heat and stir for 5 minutes, then serve.
So there you have it, my fancy/chavy porridge, I hope you like it.