This dish is great for those times when you are in a rush and need a recipe that no one can say a bad word about. This Vegan Chilli Con Carne gets put on the table pretty much every time my mum gets home late from work. But you never hear me complaining. This fiery little number pairs wonderfully with most grains, so serve it with quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat etc. top with some fresh herbs, perhaps, coriander or parsley and a dollop of yoghurt. I am getting hungry already!
Vegan Chilli Con Carne Recipe
- 1 red onion
- 2 peppers (any colour)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- A pack of pre-cooked wholegrain rice
- 1 birds eye chilli
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- ½ tsp. of cumin
- ½ tsp. of turmeric
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Rapeseed oil
- Additional extras: olives
- Garnish with fresh coriander, yoghurt and lime.
- First of all get a blender and add the; chilli, chopped onion, paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander stalks, garlic and 50ml of water, then blend until smooth.
- Leave that to one side for a minute while we prep the rest of the ingredients, deseed and chop the peppers and then drain the chickpeas and black beans (no need to rinse).
- Now turn your hob onto a medium heat and add all your prepped ingredients to a pan, along with a small glug of rapeseed oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Two minutes before the chilli is ready heat your rice in the microwave and then serve. Tear the coriander and sprinkle over the top.
Carby, filling and flavoursome the winning trio. It also really doesn’t take long to put together, all made with healthy fresh ingredients that don’t cost an arm and a leg. I am running out of excuses to give you to try this recipes out so just get on it. Have a great weekend all and I will see you in the next blog post.